Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Straight Edge

"A group of fags who want the look of hardcore kids, but dont [sic]have the balls to do anything fun. So they put X's on their hands to show everyone that they truely[sic], [sic]do, in-fact[sic], need to die."
- Sam Elwood

This is most people's view on what straight edge(hereby referred to as sxe) is. They think that sxe kids are either good churchgoing kids trying to impress their parents, or they are jealous that they aren't old enough to partake in alcohol/other shit, or they just "don't know how to have fun." In fact, I used to think pretty much all of the above. "Why would anybody be sxe?" I often found myself asking. "Drugs and shit are just plain fun. What, do they hate fun?"

But over time, I began having less fun. When I went to parties, I frequently refused alcohol. I spent less time with kids who were always fucked up. I began to see drugs and alcohol as a detriment, rather than a benefit. And that's when I started to consider becoming sxe. It was by no means a quick journey. It took years for me to finally understand what sxe truly was and why people would make it a part of their lives. And (maybe not so) coincidentally, that was around the same time that I started listening to hardcore a lot more. But I did get it eventually, and when I finally became sxe, I found out that it was a lot different than I had thought.

I realized that sxe wasn't about being a "good kid," or staying away from fun things. It was about respect for your body and mind. It was about trying to keep your independence from things that only hurt you in the end. It was about not clouding your judgement with useless trash.

And yes, there are those hardliners that will misinterpret sxe. They hate anyone who isn't sxe and judge everyone. They see sxe as a way to be better than everyone else. And there will be the kids who do it for the image. They'll put X's on their hands and tell everyone about how they are choosing a better path. They want people to like them, or be impressed with them, or some other stupid reason.

But the true sxe kids are the one you don't expect. They don't need to impress anyone and don't need to piss anyone off. They don't do it for the image or anything else. They don't push their views on others and they don't judge you for living differently. Their choice is purely a personal one, done simply because they wish to live a better life.

So no, sxe isn't gay or stupid. It's a lifestyle choice, and if you don't like it, then don't associate with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment